Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Addicted to Ellipsis

Anyone who has ever read anything I have written - be it email, letter, blog post, text message - knows that I have an addiction that I can't break.  I love ellipsis.  Love them.  Have to use them.  Can't stop myself.

Big question - who knows what ellipsis are?  Give up?

It's these...  You know... These...



Help me out Wikipedia:


Ellipsis are a series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence, example: "But I thought he was . . ." When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy or longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech or any other form of text, but it is incorrect to use ellipses solely to indicate a pause in speech.


There you are...clear as mud.

So just a fair warning to my 3 readers out there...learn to love the ellipsis...they aren't going anywhere. 

And I can't promise I will use them...correctly.



1 comment:

  1. Have to confess...you inherited that from me! ;-) I also have a penchant for using exclamation points!!! Love, Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis