Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Grass is Always Greener (Quotable Bits #2)

“Happiness is never stopping to think if you are."
Palmer Sondreal

 
Being happy is a popular topic in my brain lately.  I find myself wondering - how do I know if I am truly happy?  Is there something that would make me more happy? 

Now…before you start to worry that I may be depressed let me assure you...I am in fact quite happy in my life. My life is blessed. It’s not perfect (is anyone’s?) but it is good and satisfying and full of joy.  I believe I simply suffer from mild case of Grass is Always Greener Syndrome (GAGS).  And I know I am not alone.

I have always believed that it is important to live your life without regret.  Regret - in my humble opinion - is a useless emotion. So I will never say that I regret anything in my life.  I don't regret marrying young...I don't regret never living on my own...I simply wonder what my life would have been like if I had taken a different route. Would I still have wound up in the same place?  Would I be happier?  Or miserable?

This is GAGS at it's finest...and worst.

I have friends that are single...have no kids…and enjoy so much freedom.  I envy them.  Envy the fact that they don’t have to juggle work and parenting and lunch making and soccer lessons and birthday parties. I envy the fact that the most important person in their life…is them!  Novel concept when I find myself about 8th on my own priority list.

So I was shocked to find that when I told them how much I envied their lives…that they turned the tables and said they were jealous of ME. Because I was married to a wonderful man…blessed with two lovely children…so sure of my life’s path…and they were still searching for the love of their life.

Clearly…GAGS is becoming an epidemic.

The cure is simple…we all need to experience a little taste of the ‘other side of the fence’ once in a while.

That’s why – as a busy working mother – I like to go away a few times a year with girlfriends for a weekend of freedom. I drink too much vodka, dance the night away at a club, fall asleep at 4am and wake up with a hangover.  I am irresponsible and footloose...nothing like I am at home.

Me on an 'Other Side of the Fence' night...
And that’s also why it’s nice for my friends to take my kids for a night or two on their own.  So they can be the one to read to my little ones, kiss them goodnight and be greeted by their smiling faces in the morning. As well as wipe their bums, cut their food and play mummy & baby for 7 hours straight.

Because it’s different and new…a departure from the day to day…and ultimately…it makes you realize that what you have is pretty fantastic.

And that happiness is subjective.


2 comments:

  1. Great quote, and I love your new background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab quote and a wonderful post.
    I often wonder why people are trying so HARD to find happiness. I want to scream - but it's right there - you just have to welcome and embrace it. don't try so darn hard!
    but then, like you say, that's my reality....and someone else's could be entirely different. so subjective.
    and hip hip hooray for girls nite out!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis