Friday, May 25, 2012

My turn…your turn

These past two weeks hubby and I have been living our lives like an amicably divorced couple.  Trading kid duties off one day to the next as we juggle an abundance of other responsibilities.  A peck on the cheek as one of us runs out the door…calling “see you tomorrow” over our shoulders.

And since hubby works early and I am a night owl he goes to bed a couple of hours before me and is gone before I wake up.  I think we may have had a total of 15 minutes of overlap time in the last fortnight.  Okay…I exaggerate…it’s probably more like 45 minutes.

The girls have adapted to this crazy schedule amazingly well…happy to have whichever of us happens to be home that night.  When I am home with them – we always start off with a cheer of “Girls night!  Woohoo!” and then get to setting plans for the hours ahead. 

This week we worked on a few art projects…
For youngest that means getting out the sticker box and filling an entire sheet with as many stickers as it will bear.  And then colouring over all of them with felts.


Oldest has been on a book making streak lately.  Even asking us to use the stapler and make her folded sheets of paper into a “real book”.  Subject matter varies – she has authored stories on The Nutcracker, cooking, mother’s day, dinosaurs and happiness just to name a few…


I am so not artistic…my outlet is writing…so the best I can usually manage is a stick figure with abnormally long fingers.   But I do like to colour…so will happily pull out the crayons and colouring books during art hour.
A box of brand new crayons is a thing of beauty...
I love sitting there with my girls and just being.  Sometimes we chat…sometimes we listen to music…always they have questions. Oh boy…so many questions…

Eventually they will tire of colouring. We will argue about cleaning up…I will win…and it’s on to the next thing. 

Could be snuggling on the couch to watch a movie – littlest burying her head in my shoulder when the “bad guys” come out.  Or playing a board game and watching oldest try to cheat and then explain to her why she shouldn’t. Or reading…my girls LOVE books.

Then last night…after 2 weeks of juggling manic schedules…I found myself in unfamiliar territory. Kids were in bed. Hubby was at soccer. Dishes were done. Laundry was folded. Lunches were made.

I had nothing to do.  No one needed anything from me.

So I made a cup of tea, lit all the candles in my living room and got reacquainted with my PVR.  It was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Hubby came home from soccer a few hours later and we caught up. Talked about everything we had been doing for the past few weeks. It was lovely…

This morning I decided I was going to take oldest to Kindergarten.  I try to do this once or twice a week but had been so busy lately I am sure it had been more than a month.  Youngest and I took her to school and stayed for the morning walk.  The sun was shining and there wasn’t anywhere else in the world I would rather have been. 


Some major quality time  has been spent with my kids lately…ad I am realizing how important that time is.  Not just to them…but to me as well.  It is therapeutic and healing and necessary.

That said…I am now off for a weekend escape to Whistler with girlfriends.  It will be a weekend of 80% relaxation and 20% general debauchery.  A good recipe for fun.


And next week hubby and I will be back to our old married couple self. And that’s good…because it’s just too weird seeing him at “drop-off” and “pick-up” only.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis