Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Freedom & Anticipation (Quotable Bits #5)

This year we have hit a couple of big milestones as our youngest finally gave up the potty training battle and ditched her afternoon nap.  And I tell you…hubby and I feel like we have been let out of jail. 

I mean we actually left the house the other day with…nothing.  No diapers, snacks, wipes, water, toys, nothing.  I picked up my purse and we just left. It was stunningly awesome.

And so we find ourselves looking forward to this summer (should it ever arrive) with great anticipation - the possibilities are now endless.

“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!
There are points to be scored. There are games to be won.”
~ Dr. Seuss

I love this city we live in and have always said that I would never live anywhere else.  And while I will still stand by that statement I do find myself growing ever more impatient with the weather gods.

Vancouverites endure an endless gray winter of rain and fog and cloud.  And we endure it knowing that one day – usually in February – the clouds will part and give us a beautiful west coast day.  A day like this one:


A day when the air is crisp and cold and clean.  A day where you can sit on the beach and build sandcastles and look up to the snow capped peaks of the North Shore mountains.

And then – as quickly as that day came it will be gone.  But the anticipation of more to come will get us through the next few months until the sun arrives for good and the West Coast becomes the fair weather envy of the country. 

This has not been the case the past few years.   Instead we get the joy of listening to weather forecasters proclaim that it will be a beautiful summer with higher than average temperatures for all of Canada – except Vancouver. Gee…thanks.

And so – as depressing as it might be – we adapt.  Because we are laid back west coasters…we dress in layers, carry our umbrellas and figure out that we can still plan adventures despite the rain.

Last summer we ventured to the north shore for a hike through the mountain trails with my in-laws. We were happily wandering the trails when I realized that through the clearing I could see a bridge. And my heart started beating a little harder.

I hate heights. Even if it’s just 3 steps up a ladder I am unhappy.  So you can imagine what I would think about a suspension bridge stretched across a 100ft ravine. It was not good.


Hubby – seeing the fear on my face – apologized and told me he didn’t realize that the trail took us to THIS bridge – he thought it took us to the smaller suspension bridge. Um…honey…I love you…but don’t ever take me on a trail that goes over ANY suspension bridge ever again.  Seriously – this is grounds for divorce.  I’m just sayin’…

And then he said that there wasn’t another option…I had to go over the bridge or we would need to turn back and retrace our steps. And of course by this point the kids had seen the bridge and couldn’t wait!  And since I don’t want to pass on any of my irrational fears to my littles…I sucked it up and made my way over the bridge.

It was the most terrifying 90 seconds of my life.

By the time I got to the other side I was shaking, sweating and nauseous.  And rather than feeling proud of overcoming my fear I felt like an idiot.  That something as minor as walking over a bridge would cause me to react this way.  It made me feel weak…and I don’t like that feeling.

I want to be the person that my kids look up.  I want to show them strength and a sense of adventure. To try new things and be open to new experiences.

That’s what I want for my little family this summer…new adventures.  I see a summer full of exploring new parks and walking new trails. Camping trips with roasted marshmallows and sleeping in tents.  I want to show our girls WHY we live here despite the rain.

So – help me out – what are the MUST DO’s for a summer without limits (except budgetary ones)?

How and where do you spend your summers?



All linked up with BitsofBee for this Quotable Bits post.


3 comments:

  1. Lovely post, and I love Dr. Seuss quotes - he's a clever little critter! Summer fun for me = Granville Island fun, picnics in Deep Cove, kite-flying at Ambleside Park, and hikes on the North Shore trails. Hopefully this miserable June-uary weather will come to an end so we can truly start summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous you left your house with just your purse - I am just gonna hang out on that thought for a spell.....

    ....summer adventure, hhhmm. We are campers at heart. And I think that is probably because you don't have to really plan anything while camping. You wake up when you want, eat when you want....and just let the day take you where it may. and crawl into your tent when the bonfire gets low. Simple days. That's summer to me.
    Oh, and thus far.....we've always been rained out. Like Biblical proportions. Like the woodland animals were starting to group into two's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We spend our summers at the pool :) In Ohio (where I am from) typically we still get three pretty good months of summer. Although, I still have a 2-year-old who still naps and is NOT potty trained. He is our third child and I have a love/hate relationship with naps - hate that I have to stop what were doing to take him home for a nap - love to get a much needed afternoon nap to recoup and be a "present mom" in the late afternoon/evening. (The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it???)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis