Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Decisions, Decisions… (Quotable Bits #11)


"Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever.”
~ Keri Russell (aka Felicity)  

We are currently faced with a dilemma in our house.  A dilemma of the most welcome kind.  Our oldest darling daughter has too many activities she is passionate about and for the life of us we can’t figure out how to pick the top 1 or 2 to pursue.

On any given day her preference will change…today she may be into dance with the ultimate goal of competing on So You Think You Can Dance. Contemporary is her favourite.

The next day she is all about Musical Theatre and aspires to act and sing the role of Christine Daaé in The Phantom of the Opera.  Preferably at the Royal Albert Hall.

And then just as quickly she will change her mind again and decide she wants to be an interior designer and sits down to watch Design Star with paper and pencil ready to create her own White Room design.


We’ve already gone through phases where she wanted to be an author, artist figure skater, swimmer, soccer player and cake decorator. And undoubtedly she will change her mind many more times.

But what to do now that she is 6 and ready to start pursuing something with a little more seriousness?  How do we go about picking just one?

I know she can always decide to go in a different direction…I have no intention of becoming one of those stage mothers and forcing her to stay in something she isn’t happy with.

In fact one of the reasons we have waited until now to put her into “real” classes rather than just community centre ones was that we didn’t want to take the fun out of it.  We wanted her to enjoy it still…not feel like she was in constant competition.

I think…in the end…we will leave the decision to her and deal with whatever comes of it.  This is about her finding her path and purpose.  It’s a pretty big job but ultimately she is the only one that can decide what makes her happy…

As for our youngest daughter…right now she is passionate about whatever big sister is into.  More specifically…getting in the way of her sisters pursuit of said activity. 

I think we have a few years yet to figure out her path.

One step at a time please.






4 comments:

  1. How very true. I love your take on the situation by letting her choose what she wants to do. It's so important. I know this kid who was a huge football player on his high school team and does love the sport but he doesn't want to play it in college except his dad keeps pushing him... there's a lot of resentment there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and what a talented little girl Malia is! I agree, it's best to let them decide, and to accept that it will be an everchanging pursuit! I just think it's so wonderful that you put the money and time into fostering her interests, you go mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had so many interests when I was young too. Kudos to my mom who let me try them all and never pushed me in one direction of another.

    But in reading your post, it just occurred to me that at any given time I was just like your daughter: wanting to be an artist, then a dancer, than a singer, than a cowgirl, a painter.....it was always changing.
    And you know what? I grew up and became a stay at home mother...and everyday we sing, dance, paint, play dress up, write stories, invent and build things, etc. etc.
    how cool is that? I'm actually living my dream LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year, my 5 year old daughter will be in Sparks (pre-Brownie) and Ballet. After doing a community centre program we are trying a studio for ballet. I hope she likes it. It is so hard to know. Last year she wanted to play soccer and that lasted 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis