Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Temptation of Change (Quotable Bits #13)

Making a big life change is pretty scary.  
But, know what’s even scarier? 
Regret.
~ unknown

Last night, after finally getting the girls to bed, hubby and I found ourselves sitting in the living room assembling our new Ikea book case and coffee table while watching House Hunters International. (yes…you are free to feel jealous of our amazingly exciting life…)

He sighed one of those long meaningful sighs and said: “Sometimes I really envy those people that can just up and move to a foreign country. I wish we could do something like that…”

He’s said things like that before…but usually in the middle of November when Vancouver is at its least desirable and he is longing for the sun.  But this one felt different…both in the tone of his voice and in the way I felt when he said it.

For the first time I could actually picture us packing up the kids and the house and making a big move.  Just like the family on TV that was moving from Chicago to Holland. They looked so excited!

All night I kept thinking about it…wondering what was different about the thought this time.  Because there really should be no reason I would want to leave here.  I LOVE Vancouver.  All of our family and friends are here.  We are settled, happy, content.

And that’s the reason right there…being settled, happy and content is great but it’s not very exciting.  We are in a rut…a routine…a cycle…  So much so that taking a spontaneous trip to Ikea on a Tuesday night became the highlight of my week.

It’s not so much that I want to get away from here, it’s that I want some kind of change.  Something to rock my world, take me out of my comfort zone.

Because more than anything else I don’t ever want to look back with regret.

Of course the logical person in me knows that there is no way we can up and move to a foreign country but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep watching House Hunters International with a pang of jealousy.

And I may or may not have Googled "marketing jobs in Paris" today.  

 Just sayin’…



1 comment:

  1. Such a dreamy idea, packing up, moving to a foreign place and having a fresh start. I'll bet somewhere in Paris is thinking, "I'm so bored of my life, wouldn't it be fun to pack up and move somewhere like Vancouver?" Ok, maybe not lol. Don't stop dreaming!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis