Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sucking it up for the greater good

It’s Sunday night at 9:30pm and it feels like the first time I have been able to sit down and take a breath all weekend.

With Mission Renovate His Sisters Apartment still ongoing - but thankfully (fingers crossed) almost done - Hubby was working and I was once again alone with my girls all weekend. And after a very long and stressful week at work I was kind of dreading it.

I knew going into it that I was lacking in the energy and enthusiasm my girls were going to ask of me so I thought it might be best to start out the day with getting my ass kicked at the gym.  And I also thought it would be good to call in reinforcements.

Thank god my sisters answered the call.  They met me at the gym, helped keep my kids occupied while I finished my work out and then spent the next 3 hours helping to tire them out.  We did lunch, the mall and Superstore (on a Saturday!) with no complaining from the girls. Mainly because when we are together with Jen and Shaneyney…everything is way more fun.

Case in point - what we got up to in Superstore:


It was no wonder that when we finally got home - 2 hours later - the girls were exhausted and asked to watch a movie.  I love it when they want to take a break and sit quietly at the end of a long day. I just wish they would do it for more than 15 minutes…which was about all the time that I got to relax.

Then it was dinner, baths, books and bedtime.  Once the kids were in bed I was finally free to fold the laundry and do the dishes…you know…those end of day chores that I look forward to so much.

Sunday morning dawned and I felt even less energetic than the day before.  So I thought the best way to keep the girls occupied would be to finally drag out some old toys I had been holding on to for the right time.  As I sorted through the boxes I came across an ‘autograph book’ I had when I was 8.

And in that book I found this wonderful message from my dear Poppa:



This is the origin of my nickname that is now my blog address and twitter handle. I miss him everyday.

Once I had dried my tears…I got to work pulling out the “new” toys my girls were dying to play with.  And what a walk down memory lane it was.

First came the bunkbed and school desk I had for my Cabbaage Patch Kids. That was followed by about 50 of my favourite books from age 7-13.  I was shocked to see that I had ‘stolen’ several of them from my school libraries…yikes!

And finally the ultimate prize…Barbie dolls and clothes that belonged to my mum and aunt.  Pulling those out was like looking at the wardrobe department of Mad Men.  So retro. And I remembered almost every outfit!

Then we fast forwarded about 25 years to the Barbie dolls of my youth…a little different that the others.  And of course all the pieces from my Barbie newsroom set - complete with anchor desk, control room panel and microphones.

The best part was probably when my girls asked me to tell them what these were:


Generation gap anyone?

These new/old toys kept us all occupied for hours…so engrossed were we that I completely lost track of time and had to scramble to get ready for a family bbq.

In the chaos of pulling together extra clothes and snacks, wrapping a birthday present and doing my makeup I realized that it was suddenly way too quiet.  Fearing the worst I went looking for the girls and found them here:


So much for assuming trouble every time.

We drove out to my brother and sister and law’s new house - and after one Google map mix up - managed to arrive just 30 minutes behind schedule.

The time spent out there with my family was just lovely…especially watching my girls spend time with their cousin Olivia. She is just 4 months younger than my youngest and we don’t get to see them nearly as often as we would like.

While the girls played (aka pulled out every toy in Olivia’s room) I enjoyed a few glasses of sangrias with the rest of the adults in the backyard.


Maybe one glass too many? 

All in all - when I look back - it was a pretty good weekend…full of family, friends and fun…but I am exhausted. After these past few weeks single parents are my new superheroes…I have no idea how they do it every day.

I for one am definitely looking forward to having Hubby back to share the parenting workload.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis