Saturday, August 11, 2012

Vacation

When I think of vacation most times my imagination takes me to a beautiful white sand beach where I sit under a palapa, book in one hand and pina colada in the other and hubby at my side.  No kids in sight.

Or - following our awesome trip in February - I think about traveling to the happiest place on earth where my kids are suddenly angels and we make amazing memories as a family.

In my wildest imagination I have never pictured myself sleeping in the cramped back seat of a car in the middle of the forest for three nights…and on my birthday no less.

But that is exactly what we just did.  And much to my surprise and delight…despite not being able to extend my legs in my sleep…we had a fantastic time!



Having just spent more money than we had on the aforementioned trip to Disneyland earlier this year we knew it would be tough to take another family vacation.  But now that our youngest was out of diapers and had given up naps we thought it was time to give camping another shot.

So we packed up 2 cars and headed up to one of our fave spots in BC - Cultus Lake - for 3 nights of camping.



We got off to a bit of a rough start when we arrived at our reserved campsite and found it had to be the worst one in the entire campground.  Right next to the bathrooms…with absolutely no privacy at all.  Not good…  So we headed out to tour the rest of he campgrounds to see if there was anything better available.

Oh…did I mention it had started raining?  That wasn’t in the forecast…so we were not prepared.  Oh…and I was sick.

Yes…definitely a rocky start.

But once we found our new perfect campsite and started setting up things started to improve.  The rain stopped, my cold medication kicked in and a campfire makes everything better. 





When it was time for bed we had very little complaints from our girls. The fresh air had them exhausted to the point that our littlest only said she had to go pee once.  Ah the blessings of nature.

I had made the decision that it would be best if I didn’t sleep in the tent with everyone - I thought it would be best not to hotbox my cold germs and get everyone sick.  I was convinced that the back of the car would be better - I could cough and blow my nose without disturbing anyone.  Never did I think that it wouldn’t be long enough.  It wasn’t.

So for three nights I wished that I had taken yoga…because I was pretty sure I slept each night in one of those positions.  And woke up with numb legs. 

The next day we packed up our stuff and went to spend the day at Cultus Lake beach.  I have spent a lot of time at this lovely little lake in my lifetime.  And it was just a great feeling to watch my kids swim and play in a lake where not only I had played as a child but where my mother had as well,



We swam, snacked and dug in the sand.  The girls made new friends and I even had time to flip through a few magazines.  To wrap up the day we got ice cream and took a walk down the lake front to look at all the cabins that I have come to know so well.
 


After popping into town for dinner it was back to the campsite where we scrambled to put up a tarp as the weather forecast was once again calling for rain.  Several roasted marshmallows later the kids were in bed and I was sitting in front of a roaring campfire while hubby played his guitar.  I was finally feeling relaxed.  Not sitting on a beach at an all-inclusive resort relaxed…but I was willing to take it.

The next day was my birthday - the big 3-5 (separate blog post on that whole subject to follow). And the weather was once again not cooperating. So we spent the day at an indoor pool and wrapped up the day with yummy dinner at earl’s and birthday blizzards at DQ. 

All too soon it was time to pack up and head home. While we were all sad to say goodbye to our campsite I think we were also all ready to go home.

That might even be one of my favourite things about vacation - there is always that moment where you get to come home again.

And boy was it nice to be home…my bed never felt so good.


 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a blast Kelly! Happy Birthday, and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis