Monday, September 10, 2012

Singing Out Loud / Musical Guilty Pleasures (Monday Listicles #12)



As I ease myself back into writing on a regular basis – I was happy to see that this week’s Monday Listicles topic was a fairly easy one – SONGS.  That’s it…no specifics…just a list about songs.

Well it seemed easy until I actually started thinking about the best way to approach it…there were so many possibilities! In the end I wound up with 2 equally fabulous (in my humble opinion) ideas so decided to do a Top 5 of each.

First off – as my post about our Live at Squamish experience alluded to – I like to sing in the car.  And I don’t even care if people can see me doing it…unless someone catches me belting out a love song with my eyes closed.   Then I am appropriately ashamed and go bright red.

Obviously this is not me - it's a google image of someone who is a much prettier when singing than I.
But if I’m on a highway with the windows down and the radio blasting then no one can stop me baby…especially when these beauties come one:

To Be With You – Mr. Big
Okay seriously…this has to be at the top of everyone’s sing a long list…and if it isn’t put it on there NOW.


Livin’ on the Edge – Aerosmith
Pretty much any Aerosmith song comes on and I am going to sing along…but this one is my favourite.  There is something so incredibly satisfying about it…

Runaway Train – Soul Asylum
This one has some serious sentimental value for me – it was top of the pop charts when I got my first car.  And since I had to wait a few months in between getting my car and getting my license – I spent a lot of  time sitting in said car…in the garage…playing this song over and over again on my – wait for it – cassette player.  It’s a wonder that my cassette single (that’s right – single!) wasn’t worn out by the time I could legally put rubber on the road and sing this one out the window on the highway…as it was meant to be done.
 

November Rain – Guns N’ Roses
Again…with a band like GNR I am hard pressed to not sing along…but this song (followed very closely by Sweet Child of Mine) is my fave. 

Hold On – Wilson Phillips
I am so glad that the movie Bridesmaids has made singing along to this 90s hit cool again.  Because this song was MEANT to be sung out loud…and preferably TO your best friend.  My friends and I had several amazing routines made up to this one – most of them featuring the same hand movements that Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig did so well in the movie. 

So consider yourself warned – if you are ever in the car with me (or just driving nearby) and one of these songs comes on I have a Hall Pass.  And you must at least pretend to enjoy the experience.

Onto list #2 – and this is one of those times where I am really going to put myself out there and risk sharing too much.  Because this list is my musical guilty pleasures…the top 5 songs that no one is ever supposed to admit to liking.  The songs that are to be immediately turned off…not turned up.

But I just can’t help myself…

We’ve Only Just Begun – The Carpenters
I know…total cheese…but I love this song.  She has a really lovely voice…and the lyrics are simple and lovely.  And it’s fun to sing along.  And…okay…I know…bad Kelly.

Baby Got Back – Sir Mix-A-Lot
I have a confession – I was slightly famous in college for knowing all the words to this song and belting it out on command. In fact a colleague from school reminded me of this just the other day when she uploaded this hilarious video on Facebook and said it reminded me of her.  

Hangin’ Tough – New Kids on the Block
This song was once really really cool.  And I could do all the dance moves.  And listening to it…singing along…and occasionally attempting to recreate the dance…makes me feel like a lovesick teenager again.  Because a part of me still loves Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight. 

Think Twice – Celine Dion

No guilty pleasures list would be complete without a Celine Dion tune.  This one has a lot of sentimental value for me because I played it over and over and over and over again while suffering through the turmoil of high school loves.  It was the first song on a mix tape I made called “So Sad Slow and Sappy Songs” It was the best tape ever.

And last but not least…

Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor
I know she went all crazy…but I can’t help but love this song.  I know much of my love for it comes from memories – good and bad – where this song was my refuge.  But all in all…I think it’s a great song that wound up with a bad rep.

That’s it…list(s) complete.  My apologies if any (or all) of the above songs are now stuck in your head. 

And can I just say -- one of the greatest parts about writing this post was seeing all the old music videos again.  It reminded me of a time when MuchMusic (Canadian MTV) actually showed videos instead of back to back crappy reality TV shows. 

Now it’s your turn to tell me…what’s your guilty music pleasure or the song you just can’t help singing along to?

Trust me…after sharing the above with all of you…I am in no position to judge.
K.

PS - As a bonus thought I would throw in what I consider one of the best friends-singing-in-the-car movie scenes of all time.  Party on Wayne...party on Garth.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Well thanks. Mr. Big is totally stuck in my head! Wait. Did he use the word "betwixt" in there?
    Dang, I like that Carpenters song.
    Love that Wayne's World scene. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! my 2 year old is obsessed with the Muppet version of Bohemian Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES YES YES! I've been caught a time or thousands belting out every single one of these. Fabulous list. These are awesome sing a longs and anyone who says otherwise should just stick to whistling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Livin' on the Edge is so good! I love singing in the car, which is the only place I do it since I can't carry a tune. It's really sad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, yep, and yep. I'd sing along to all of those songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ARgh..I wrote a perfect and lengthy comment and it got eaten! I have the most fantastic voice in my mini van. I can sound like Katy Perry, Dolly Parton, and Def Leppard...outside of it I cannot carry a tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Carpenters! How could I forget them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing compares to you was my favorite song in my teen years. Baby got back ha??? Funny you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis