Wendy from Twisted Domestic Goddess set the challenge – 10 THINGS YOU THOUGHT AS A CHILD YOU WOULD DO/BE.
Oh man...does this really have to be a list of just 10? Because I remember my life's ambition changing at the drop of the hat (usually tied in with whatever book I happened to be reading at the time.)
It was so wonderful to be young and carefree with my future was yet to be determined and everything was still a possibility. I see this now in my oldest daughter who tells us daily of her new ambitions – ballerina, rock star, writer, chef, inventor, scientist.
I love the look on her face as she talks about it. I remember that look…all about potential.
To that end - here is my list of “potential" careers that never came to be:
1. Teacher - this wins the award for most recurring wannabe career.
2. Singer – more specifically I wanted to be Jem and be truly, truly, truly outrageous.
|What girl didn't want to be her?|
3. Baker/Chef – thank you Easy Bake Oven for making it seem well…easy.
4. Detective - all Nancy Drew's fault.
5. Gymnast – always my favorite sport in the summer Olympics. But I always knew that my chest size was never going to let this dream become a reality.
6. Swimmer – my 2nd favourite Olympic sport. See above.
7. Astronaut – a fleeting aspiration centered around the freeze-dried ice cream my aunt brought me from NASA. I quickly decided I liked the non-freeze dried kind much better plus I was scared of heights.
|doesn't it look delicious?|
8. Actress – in grade 4 I tried out for Lucy in the school play “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown”. I didn’t get it. It still hurts.
9. Race Car Driver – I grew up at the race track so this one is no surprise. The only part of this aspiration I still have is my lead foot and insistence on having a stick shift in my car
10. Sports Journalist – it was this dream that propelled me in to journalism school. The reality that faced me upon graduation was moving to a small town (probably in Saskatchewan) and working on a paper there to earn my bones. So I went into marketing instead…
And the rest as they say…is history. I’m not unhappy with where I am today…but making this list has really made me wish I had stuck with just one of these dreams to see if I could have made it happen.
Thanks Stasha for another great list…