Sunday, March 10, 2013

Winds of Change

Close to three years ago I was positively giddy to be offered my dream job in the marketing department of my favourite sports team. As a lifelong fan of the team I just knew that I would work there forever.  And once I met my amazing colleagues I was even more certain of that fact.

Unfortunately the job never really lived up to my - admittedly - high expectations. My job title and responsibilities changed several times and with each change I found myself doing less and less actual marketing and that led to me feeling like I was losing my creative skills.  I was stagnating.

I knew I needed to make a change before I lost my skills completely. The 4 month NHL labour dispute and lockout provided the perfect opportunity to explore other options. For the first time I knew I was going to be picky. I was looking for a very specific type of job and work environment.

I needed a job that would challenge me but not require me to be chained to my phone 24/7. I needed a company that actually understood how to give employees life/work and not just talk about it. And I needed more money because - well - don't we all?



I figured there was no way I would find all if this in one position. But after just one week at my new job I'm happy to report that I was wrong about that.

My new role is slightly lower in seniority than my previous one but I know it will give me much better work-life balance and I'm already very excited  about the projects I will be managing.

Even more exciting is that I absolutely LOVE everyone I am working with. What a fabulous group of amazing women...so awesome. It's already clear that I am on the same page as my new supervisor...and that she actually knows what she's doing. Always a big plus.

And I've been reunited with one of my dearest friends...who I first worked with nearly 10 years ago.  Back when we were young and single and carefree.  Now we are old(er) married ladies with kids...how times change.

Leaving my old job was not an easy decision.  Mainly because of the people that I left behind. But in the end I had to admit that my "dream" job was no longer a dream.  It was holding me back professionally, robbing me of quality time with my kids and providing very little upside.

But no longer will that be the case. My  new job might prove to be a little less exciting and is defintiely with a lower profile brand...but ultimately that doesn't matter.

The most important thing is that I have found a place where I am able to fulfill my need to work and be challenged professionally...and still be home for dinner every night.

Hopefuly giving me more time to also pursue some of my own personal goals. One of which involves these...



but that's a topic for another post...



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis