Thursday, May 9, 2013

Setbacks...

I have hit my first roadblock...and I am not happy about it.

On my run earlier this week I felt a "tweak" in my back. I came home, took a very hot shower, popped a couple of Advil and figured I had dodged that bullet. Not so much...

After my next run that "tweak" turned into full on back spasms. Which have spread to my hip and down my right leg. I'm now in agony every time I move. 

In fact it took me just as long to get off the couch as my 90-year-old Nanny. True story...

So instead of moving on to week 6 of my 5K training program and tackling my first 8 minute run...I am booking physiotherapy appointments and popping pain killers every 4 hours like clockwork.

And this is where my will and dedication gets tested...because this is where I would usually start feeling sorry for myself, get frustrated over being hurt and give up. But not this time. 

Because this time I know I can take the time I need to heal and just get right back into it. Even if it sets me back a few weeks...even if I put some weight back on...even if I have to start right back at the beginning again. I already did it once and so I know I can do it again...

And because I have some amazing ladies cheering me on and ready to run by my side again. Just as soon as I'm ready...


Hopefully I don't keep them waiting too long...


2 comments:

  1. Just a little visit by one of your fellow Top Vancouver Mom Blogger ladies! Nikki from Slow is the New Fast here... of course, I read a running-related post first. How is this doing? Are you feeling any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Nikki! I'm slowly getting better. My physiotherapist has cleared me to start running again but the first time I tried it was still painful. So I'm taking it slow to avoid making it worse. It's killing me though...I just want to get running again!

      Delete

ShareThis