Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Father's Day

Father's Day is always somewhat bittersweet for me. I love that on this day I can celebrate the man that I married and what a wonderful father he is to our two lovely girls. But I also hate the day a little bit because it a reminder of what I don't have.

The truth is that I haven't spoken to my own father in almost a decade. We are estranged.  And I am not going to go into the reasons why or all the history and details. This is simply a fact of my life.  To quote my favourite quote - It Is What It Is.

For most of the year it is something that I don't think about often.  On a day like Father's Day however I feel the weight of the separation more profoundly. My social media feeds are full of pictures of friends with their dads and comments like "to the best daddy ever." and "I am so lucky to have you as my father."  and I feel a little cheated.

But instead of focusing on how it makes me feel to read and see all of those posts instead I think about my girls.  And how much they love their daddy and how I know - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that they will never feel the same way as I on this day.

This year hubby's birthday fell just 2 days before Father's Day so we had a weekend full of celebrating.

We started by getting all fancied up for a birthday dinner at a restaurant that the girls had never been too...The Keg.  They took wardrobe selection very seriously - including sparkly shoes and stick on earrings:


And can I just say that The Keg is really kid-friendly.  I mean it might not be a place I'd want to take my toddler that has just learned to walk...but for kids 4 and up its great.  Yes...they do have a kids menu. Yes...they do have crayons and colouring sheets.  They even bring the kids a little appetizer plate with carrot and celery sticks, strawberries and crackers.

 
 

After devouring our food - including oldest daugther's first ever Keg steak (she loved it BTW) - the girls gave hubby the cards they had filled out.

The 'cards' were actually questionnaires and I love that the way they filled them out fit their personalities (and ages) perfectly:
 
 

Little one can't write yet but she dictated her answers without hesitation - she KNEW the answers:

 


After dinner it was back to our house where all of our family was coming over for cupcakes and tea. 16 people all together - ooh lord we drank a lot of tea.

 
Father's Day morning we were up early for brunch in Ladner with hubby's family. Little T gave him his gift she had made at daycare...so awesome:


I had let the girls pick him up a gift at the dollar store as well.  Littlest picked a mini-tabletop hockey set.  And oldest picked a stick on mustache. We had some fun with that - even Lambie got a little classier...


Then it was off for a walk on the dyke in Ladner. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed every minute.

 
 
 

By the end of the day I was wondering why I had let myself feel "cheated" earlier in the day. Watching hubby with our girls was enough to remind me that my life is not lacking a father's love...in fact it is overflowing with it.

Happy Father's Day to all the Daddy's...remember to always be your child's champion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis