Monday, July 22, 2013

Nana turns 90

For the second weekend in a row we were marking a major family milestone. This time is was on my side of the family as my lovely Nana - the heart and soul of our family - turned 90 years old yesterday. We threw her a proper garden party BBQ to celebrate and everyone was there for this very special occasion.

A fabulous time was had by all:

the little ones gave Nana a butterfly shaped tiara and she wore it proudly all night long.
Appies!  Melon & prosciutto and Shrimp Cocktail. Yes please.

Hubby hard at work grillin' up some ribs.

Cousins the younger generation...
...and the more "mature" generation.
my god I love these girls so much...


someone was waiting very patiently for that cake to be served already!
Patience is rewarded...
I call this Nana's "bloody awful" face. She really didn't like the champagne we had for her toast.

My aunt put together an amazing slide show of Nana's life.  I was too busy sobbing my eyes out to take pictures but managed to steal this one from my cousin. There were so many pictures I had never seen - including one of her as a young woman sitting in a bomb shelter in London during the Blitz. What a truly incredible life she has led...
my amazing Nana & Poppa on their wedding day in 1951.

Photobomb!  My brother, sis in law and me invade a Nana selfie...
We decided to end the night by launching some paper lanterns in Nana's honour. On each lantern family members wrote their wishes for her in the coming year. 

It was a lovely thought but none of us were really sure how it was going to turn out.  Luckily it was the beautiful gesture we hoped it would be...

preparing the first lanterns for flight...
Nana ready to launch her first one. Miraculously no one was injured during the launch of the lanterns. Nor did we set the wooden dock on fire...

In flight! They looked so beautiful all up in the air.

At one point we got a little concerned they might drop down into a field somewhere and start a fire. I think we avoided that...

some of them - like mine - never took flight.

you really did spawn off a bunch of crazies Nana...and we love you for it!

a beautiful (almost) full moon at the end of a wonderful day.




Happy 90th Nanners!


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful Celebration!! I love the idea of releasing the lateens. Happy Birthday to your NANA

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis