Thursday, October 24, 2013

84 days and counting

I have an app that tells me how long I have until I run my first 5K in January. The reminders pop up every day but I rarely actually look at it because it's makes it all too real. This morning I faced my fears and when I saw the number I did a double take...where has the time gone?


I am desperate to get back into my regular running routine. This damn hip injury is proving just annoying enough to keep me from doing that. Despite me doing my physio-recommended exercises before AND after each run I'm still sore.

My fear is that if I just 'push through' the pain I will do more damage and won't be able to run at all in January.  So I've decided to take it easy on myself and just do what I am able to do.

Last night the last thing I felt like doing after a busy day at work and an evening full of errands was run. Especially since it was foggy and cold and my running partner was unavailable. But I knew it would make me feel better so after reading another chapter of Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets with my oldest daughter and tucking my little one into bed I donned my running gear and ventured out into the mist.

Since I was running solo I passed on my usual route - which skirts close to a forested golf course and isn't all that well lit - in favour of the very busy oval track in the centre of town. There is a soccer field in the middle of the track that is always busy.

I plugged my headphones in, cranked my tunes and set off. I'm running 2 minutes intervals and was actually feeling pretty pleased with my pace last night. Running through the fog I was pretty much soaked right away. But I was powering through it.

And that's when the soccer ball hit me. Square in the side o' me head. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

I looked over at the field and saw all the players were making the "oh shit - heads up" face.  Clearly they had all been yelling at me but I couldn't hear over my music. I kicked the ball to the nearest player, shrugged a little to say "I'm all good" and kept going.

When I finished my run - 4.18km with an average pace of 8:36/km thank you very much - I had a moment where I thought about how ridiculous I must have looked as that ball hit me. Running along, no idea what was about to happen, likely lip syncing (with appropriate facial expressions) and then boom.

The universe really does have a twisted sense of humour.

Speaking of funny things I have started my research into what I'm going to wear for the Never Land 5K.  This is a runDisney event after all...I need to princess myself up.

I've been spending quite a bit of time on Pinterest looking at ideas...leaning towards this one at the moment.

via This Mama Makes Stuff

I have always liked Snow White...I mean she's the OG of the Disney Princesses. But I mainly like this one because she is the only princess that doesn't wear a tiara. And there ain't no way a tiara will stay on my head for a full 5 kilometres.

Stay tuned...more costume details to come.


Linking up with Running Bloggers for the first time with this post!



1 comment:

  1. I love this! I've done a few Disney races this past year and they are SO MUCH fun! A costume is a must! The Team Sparkle skirts are fantastic and it's usually pretty easy to build the rest of your costume from other running clothes. I usually end up buying a cheap cotton tank at Old Navy and even though it's not a "running" top it usually works fine for shorter distances.

    And don't worry, you'll get there. Just take it slow and steady and build yourself back up again. Mark it all down on a calendar so you can see your progress - it feels good!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis