Monday, December 16, 2013

Thirty...

This number has big meaning for me today.  No...I'm not turning 30 (again) but this is even bigger than that.

Way back in March I set a few big goals for myself. Little did I know what life would have in store for me at that time.  So many ups and downs since then - sadly more downs than ups - but this a post of celebration.

I am officially down 30 pounds!  Hooray!

Clothes that haven't fit since before I had kids (yikes!) fit again. Double Hooray!

And even my 'skinny' jeans of old are too big already. Triple Hooray!

While I would love to be able to attribute all of this lost weight solely to healthy eating and exercise - the truth is that at least half of it came off as a result of my recent bout with depression and the fact I pretty much existed on coffee for 5 weeks.

but hey...that's not very positive is it? So let's concentrate on the other half that did come off due to hard work...and pounding pavement.

Running.  Who knew I would love it as much as I do? I certainly didn't expect to but love it I do.  I love the feeling of lacing up my runners and pluggin in my ear buds.  I love that I can do it anywhere and anytime.

And I love the changes it has made to my body.  My legs are leaner and stronger. I can run with my head up and can even talk while I run now. If you had asked me back in March when I was struggling to get through just 30 seconds of running I would have thought that impossible.

But now...oh now...I know better.  I know what I am truly capable of. Which leads me to the second important "30".

30 days from now I will be competing in my first official 5k race.

Just a few days ago I will still feeling a little nervous about this since I had yet to finish an actual 5k distance. So yesterday I decided to conquer that fear and just do it.

I battled through wicked side stiches (must drink more water) and an even more wicked head wind to complete my first 5k in just over 40  minutes.



The fact that I had to walk a good deal of the distance because of the stiches was a disappointment to be sure but it also proved that even having to walk I could still complete the distance in good time.

And I am certain that on race day - with the knowledge that my loved ones will be waiting for me at the finish line - I will be able to overcome any obstacles.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing 2013 come to an end. But this year has also been one of great revelation for me.  I have learned a lot about myself. About the depth of both my emotional and physical strength. And about how hitting rock bottom can be liberating in a way.

I know that in 2014 there is no where for me to go but up.

Except on the scale... 

That my friends...is going down.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you!!! Running a 5km is a HUGE accomplishment and losing 30LBS Is absolutely something to celebrate!!!! Can't wait to hear about race day1

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis