Tuesday, March 4, 2014

10 Things I Would Tell My Teenage Self (Monday Listicles)

There is a reason that the saying "if I only knew then what I know now..." is a saying. 

There is a reason that people say it with a wistful tone and far away look. Because when we were teenagers we really had no freakin' clue about anything.

I mean really...if you could talk to your teenage self for just 5 minutes...think of the wisdom you could impart.  The attitude you could just smack right out of them. Oh it would be a beautiful thing...

So let's make a list shall we?  A list of "what I know now" and what I would share with who I was "back then".


1. You are beautiful. Take the compliment, say "thank you" and believe it.

2.  But don't ever perm your hair again...or I will have to take back what I said in #1.

3. He is not the only man in the world. And he is not the lost love of your life. Move on.

4. Laugh hard. Laugh a lot. Laugh at yourself.

5. Listen to your elders - they actually know a lot more than you give them credit for.

6. Listen to your gut. You can trust it more than you think you can...or currently do.

7. This too shall pass (bad grades, broken heart, fight with your bestie...) and you will be a better person for having gone through it.

8. Challenge yourself everyday.

9. Be grateful for what you have.

10. Life doesn't get easier so enjoy each moment before it too is gone.


Ah to be young and naive again. To let my heart rule my head. To dance awkwardly to Stairway to Heaven.

And now...back to reality...


 

5 comments:

  1. I have to say I would be sharing all 10 of those what I know now... with my teenage self
    oh how crazy it is too think what ruled are hearts and heads back then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice about the perms...that's something I should tell my 20 year old self! Your list rocks with Led Zeppelin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your list :) I agree with all of them - including the perm, lol. And awkwardly dancing to Stairway to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Perming (or not perming) hair was on my list, too! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful advice! I got a perm even though I have naturally curly hair...can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis