Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Today was my first Mother's Day as a (currently) single parent and although a large chunk of it was actually spent with my husband and other family...it felt decidedly different.  And I figure that's because I am decidedly different.

Last Mother's Day I got my first tattoo. The word "love." on my wrist.  And 12 months ago that word had a completely different meaning to me. I thought I had all the love I needed and would have it for all eternity. The love I was thinking of as the word was permanently etched into my skin last Mother's Day is love that I no longer have or that has at the very least evolved into something much much different.

And so it was - as a result of the evolution of my life and my love - that I found myself waking up solo this Mother's Day to the sounds of my girls watching TV in the other room.  After getting chastised for waking up "too early" and thereby interrupting the Clone Wars marathon - they told me to return to bed so they could prepare.
I had low expectations of what they would do for me as they would either be attempting something on their own or asking for my help in my own Mother's Day pampering.

Once again I underestimated my kids. I had set the coffee maker to auto brew and my oldest used oven mitts to pour it when I warned her it might be hot. Youngest poured me a HUGE bowl of cereal and even remembered the milk and the spoon and they served me up a right proper breakfast in bed...all on their own.


Complete with handmade Mother's Day cards and crafts it was everything I could have hoped for and more. 

The rest of the day was spent with family - both our own little family of 4 and my extended family - and there were some really lovely moments:






This is my favourite picture of the day...four generations:


As I tucked my little girls into bed they both showered me with kisses and I love you's and I realized that no matter how much I may change and grow through my journey...being their Mummy is the most important thing in my life.

And I should never forget that...

Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing women in my life! Those with kids of their own and those that treat my girls as if they were their own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis