Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My Little Graduate

My youngest had her daycare graduation last week and I must admit I had a pretty tough time accepting that she is about to make the transition into school.

I think I might be more sentimental this time around because I know that all of her milestones are the LAST for me to experience because she is my last baby.  So each of these moments remind me of the steady beat of time moving on...and all of us getting older.

The "ceremony" was lovely. She marched into the room to the strains of "Pomp & Circumstance" her little graduate hat askew on her head. She brought me a pink carnation and then took her place with her other graduating friends.

The daycare had certificates for each graduate and called them up individually to collect.  And then...it was time to make the mothers cry. The photo slideshows began.

Little T has been at this daycare since she was 11 months old and that was the first photo they showed of her. So little, so cute, still a baby.

And my tears started to fall.  Right now I am pretty much an all or nothing cryer.  I can either manage to hold in my emotions (to the point of appearing dis-interested) or they just continue to fall.

Thank goodness they had boxes of kleenex ready for us.

After the ceremony ended there were lovely speeches by the staff - all of whom were also crying - as they talked about what an honour it was to play a role in helping us raise our children. 

As a working mother my kids have been in full time daycare since the age of 1 and I often lamented the fact that they spent more time at the daycare than with me. And while I will never fully get over that guilt...I also know that they enjoyed every minute they were there.  And that was evident just from the smiles on their faces in the slideshow.

And litenting to their teachers talk about them I know that they loved my kids (almost) as much as I do.

Come September we will be saying a very emotional farewell to this lovely little daycare after 7 years.  And that will be a very sad day for our whole family.














No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis