Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I can't sleep...I'm too inspired!

It's 12:25 in the morning. I should be in bed. But I can't sleep. My brain is buzzing...my mind is racing...I am full of thoughts and ideas and...since I can't do anything with them right now...I'm blogging instead.

Tonight I had the great pleasure of hearing a truly amazing woman speak on a very important topic - body image. As someone that has never had a very positive body image and also as a mother of two young daughters it was a topic that is always top of mind.

But Taryn Brumfitt truly blew my mind tonight and made me shift the way I think about myself completely. She opened my eyes and inspired me. She was funny and real and down to earth and her talk was poignant and touching.
 


I could try to sum up what she talked about in my own words but she says is best here:


The first minute of video could have been me. I have stood in front of the mirror so many times and said those exact words to myself.  And so have so many other woman I'm sure. It's such a sad reflection on our society that so many woman think so poorly of themselves solely because of body image.

I am happy to report that Taryn reached her Kickstarter goal and has started production on her documentary "Embrace". I can 't wait to watch it.

And in the meantime I will continue to work on changing my "one word" to something positive in the hopes that my girls will follow my example. I hope they never stand in front of the mirror and hate what they see.

It's an unrealistic expectation...but that doesn't mean I can't work as hard as I can to make it a reality.

Thanks for the inspiration Taryn!

http://bodyimagemovement.com.au/

Oh...and my evening was a lot more enjoyable with the company of these two lovely ladies:

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis