Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Grateful

Last Christmas Eve I found myself standing in the kitchen of my husband's aunts house, surrounded by all of my in-laws wondering if my 19th Christmas with them would be the last. I was almost certain it would be. My marriage was in a downward spiral that I couldn't seem to stop and the end of the story...it seemed...was already sadly written.

Shows how much I know...

Because tonight I was back in that same house, hugging those same aunts and uncles and being hugged back tightly. And I was grateful. So grateful that these people were still my family. 

So grateful that I was not spending the holidays apart from my children and the man with whom I had spent the last 20 Christmases with.

It has taken hard work to get us here. And more work is needed to keep us here and moving forward together. But we are committed to the process. 

Someone recently asked me to sum up 2014 in just 5 words. With the year it has been I thought it would be hard to do...but it wasn't. 

"Stress. Change. Adjustment. I'm happier."

All things considered that's not too shabby. I'll take it.

And now...sitting here on Christmas Eve surrounded by my kids, my husband and  my in-laws...in front of my Christmas tree...watching Christmas movies...I need to add one more word.

Grateful. 

Merry Christmas everyone...





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis