Thursday, February 12, 2015

One-on-One Time: So You Think You Can Dance Tour


I love getting to spend one-on-one time with my girls. It always seems like when they don't have their sibling around they open up and are just more...well...them.

So I was pretty excited when I bought my oldest daughter tickets to the So You Think You Can Dance Tour for Christmas. Because I knew that with the tickets would also come one-on-one time.


As the date approached M got more and more excited. She talked often about the dancers and what routines from the past season they might perform. She thought carefully about what to wear. Asked if we could bring binoculars and also some snacks.

Finally the day arrived and we set off for our date night.



We arrived at the restaurant and she was so excited to order her first "virgin margarita". Plus she didn't have to have vegetables with dinner! Could this night get any better?
 

During dinner she did all the talking. About school. About musical theatre class. About Star Wars. About Harry Potter.  And I was struck by the fact that she was a real person.

She had ideas and dreams she wanted to share with me. She had opinions on important issues...well things that were important to her at least.

It was a really awesome thing. To sit there and just chat with my daughter. And then it was time to walk to the theatre.  I say "walk" but she pretty much skipped/ran the whole way there. Her excitement was contagious!



The very nice lady I asked to take a picture of us wound up taking about 15 and this was the best one. Oh well...
 Our seats were awesome. There wasn't a super tall guy sitting in front of us (he was average height) and the show was A-MAY-ZING!
 

These people danced their hearts out...so enjoyable.


And my daughter's face was like this the entire time:


This pictures sums it up better than anything I could have written.

And as we walked back to the car - her little hand (still so little!) nestled in mine - she thanked me for taking her. And for bringing snacks. And for letting her use the binoculars the whole time.

She gave my hand a squeeze and said "I love you mummy. This was the best night ever."

Kids really are full of surprises. After trying to act like a grown up all evening long...when it really counted she was my little girl again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis