Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Enjoying it. While it lasts...

My girls are almost exactly 3 years apart in age. And at times that age difference has felt like a monumental divide that would never be crossed.

Until now...

This is the time we have been waiting for. Because - stop the presses - they actually enjoy each other's company! They play together for hours without any (major) arguments. They laugh together and make up stories together.  They respect each others ideas.

It is a truly glorious time. A time I know may not last long and so I am determined to soak up every last minute of it.

When we moved into this house a few years back I was concerned about the size difference of the bedrooms. I felt bad that my youngest daughter was getting a room that was less than half the size of her big sisters. But she didn't care. She loved her little room and gave no sign that she felt slighted.

When I started working from home we toyed with the idea of bunking the girls together in one room and converting the other to an office. But ultimately decided that it was important they have their own spaces and we left things as they were.

And then...over the past few days...both girls have started asking if they can move in together and share a room. When they first brought it up I figured it was a fleeting idea that would only be mentioned once and then forgotten the next time they argued.

But that was several days ago and they keep asking. In fact, they have bunked together in the queen size bed for the past 4 nights and have loved every minute of it.


They fall asleep faster. My youngest doesn't get out of bed 45 times. And I think they sleep more soundly.

So - we're going to give it a whirl. We won't be turning little one's room into a man cave just yet (sorry hubby) but I think this just might be an idea that sticks.

And I really am loving how much they love each other right now. I hope it lasts for a while.

Because the laughter I hear and the joy I see in their faces as they play together makes me think we just might have gotten some of his parenting thing done right.

{pats self on back}
{sits down with a cup of tea and a book}
{silently prays for continued peace & quiet}


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis