Saturday, August 29, 2015

Milestone Moment: Holes in the Ears

Today - after weeks of (seemingly endless) discussion and debate - my 9 year old decided she was ready to get her ears pierced. 
It was a big moment...for both of us. Because these are the moments that mark the passing of time. That mark her growing up.

I remember getting my ears pierced. I was 8 and it was a tremendously hellish experience.

My "ear care professional" was new...didn't know what she was doing...and managed to get the "pain free" ear piercing gun stuck on my left earlobe.

And it hurt like a son of a &%@!#. I don't actually remember how they managed to get the 2nd ear done but I suspect my mother had a hand in that black magic.  I picture myself unconscious on the chair...the offending gun still hanging from my left ear while my mother took matters into her own hand and finished the job herself.

Anyways...I digress. Luckily my daughters experience was quite the opposite of mine.

We went to Claire's and I searched through the staff until I found one that looked closer to my age than my daugther's and whose name tag had the word "Manager" on it.

She walked M through the steps and asked her to choose her earrings. After she chose her April birthstone it was over to the stool in the window.





The whole process was over in about 10 minutes - start to finish.

One of the things I love is that they do both ears at the same time. M knew what was coming when they tried to distract her with questions...but I think she was even surprised by how quickly it was done. 




The smile didn't leave her face for hours after we left the mall.

When we were done with the piercing we took full advantage of the discounts Claire's offers when you get your ears pierced. All their stainless steel earrings were $5 - so M got 4 pairs for when she is able to swap them out.

I have to say our experience at Claire's was really fantastic. They have great information on their website about after care - including a video that my daughter really found helpful.

Mark another milestone down in the books...these moments just keep coming.

I'm not sure I'm ready for them...but I don't seem to get a say anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis